Youtube on Tuesday, Jan. 12, suspended President Trump’s channel for a minimum of 7 days. They removed videos and disabled comments by users for “violating policies.”
Youtube claimed President Trump’s videos incited violence in the latest crackdown by big tech censors without specifying which one.
“After review, and in light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, we removed new content uploaded to Donald J. Trump’s channel for violating our policies,” the Google-owned video giant said in a tweet. ”It now has its 1st strike & is temporarily prevented from uploading new content for a ‘minimum’ of 7 days.’”
“Given the ongoing concerns about violence, we will also be indefinitely disabling comments on President Trump’s channel, as we’ve done to other channels where there are safety concerns found in the comments section,” it added.
Earlier in the day, the “Stop Hate for Profit” campaign said that they would organize an advertiser boycott against Youtube if it does not take down President Trump’s channel, which boasts 2.76 million subscribers, according to Reuters.
Jim Steyer, one of the campaign organizers, told the outlet that the president’s channel “gives him the opportunity to continue spreading false information that the U.S. election was stolen.”
The videos that were removed included one in which President Trump told reporters, “I think Big Tech has made a terrible mistake” by blocking him, Reuters said.
During his visit to the Rio Grande Valley on the Texas border on Tuesday, President Trump addressed the U.S. Capitol’s storming and condemned the violence, which Democrats are using as an excuse to push for a second impeachment against him.
“Free speech is under assault like never before,” the president said. “The 25th Amendment is of zero risk to me but will come back to haunt Joe Biden and the Biden administration. As the expression goes, be careful what you wish for.”
“Millions of our citizens watched on Wednesday as a mob stormed the Capitol and trashed the halls of government. As I have consistently said throughout my administration, we believe in respecting America’s history and traditions, not tearing them down,” he added. “We believe in the rule of law, not in violence or rioting.”
Following Twitter’s lead, Facebook, Snap Inc, and Youtube have all suspended President Trump and his supporters using the Capitol riot as an excuse.
President Trump: “Free speech is under assault like never before.”
“The 25th Amendment is of zero risk to me but will come back to haunt Joe Biden and the Biden administration. As the expression goes, be careful what you wish for.” pic.twitter.com/h2KaChVIub
— Kyle Morris (@RealKyleMorris) January 12, 2021