President Donald Trump’s campaign is pushing to hold the canceled presidential debate in an in-person format after the White House confirmed the president is no longer at risk of transmitting the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Virus (coronavirus) to others.
CNN reported White House deputy communications director Brian Morgenstern saying on Sunday, Oct 11, that the second debate between President Trump and Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden should now go ahead as initially planned on Oct 15.
“The President is ready to debate, and his doctors have cleared him for participating in public engagements,” Morgenstern told reporters at the White House on Sunday.
“They’ve said he’s no longer a risk for transmission, so it would be nice if the commission would get the debate back on the schedule,” he said.
The move comes after the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) on Friday canceled the in-person town hall-style debate and decided to hold the event as a virtual debate. President Trump said no to a virtual debate.
According to President Trump’s family, the president “wants to stand on the stage with his opponent,” and that “a virtual debate is an absolute disaster.”
The CPD has turned its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate on Oct. 22 according to The Hill. Biden, meanwhile, intends to hold a town hall on Oct.15 hosted by ABC News.
Earlier last week, Biden said that he would not attend a debate if President Trump still tested positive for the CCP Virus.
“I think if he still has COVID, we shouldn’t have a debate,” Biden said last Tuesday. “I think we were gonna have to follow very strict guidelines. Too many people have been infected. It’s a very serious problem, so I will be guided by the guidelines of the Cleveland Clinic and what the docs say is the right thing to do.”
In a memo released on Saturday, White House physician Sean Conley said he was “happy to report that in addition to the President meeting the CDC criteria for the safe discontinuation of isolation, this morning’s COVID PCR sample demonstrates, by currently recognized standards, he is no longer considered a transmission risk to others.”
In a tweet on Sunday, President Trump also declared that he is now “immune” from the virus.