Organizers of Hong Kong’s annual vigil to commemorate the deaths during the Tiananmen Square massacre announced on Tuesday, May 11, that individual vigils will be implemented on 4 June, after the government banned the historic mass event for the second year in a row, citing the pandemic as a pretext, HKFP reported.

The Hong Kong Alliance, the democratic organization in charge of the mass candlelight vigil, which was historically held in Victoria Park, urged people to “light a candle wherever you are” at 8 p.m. on June 4, the 32nd anniversary of the massacre.  

Although it was also banned last year, several thousand people gathered in Victoria Park, where the candlelight event has been held annually since 1990. The massive turnout ended with 26 Hong Kongers charged with participating and inciting others to participate in an illegal gathering, including 72-year-old media mogul Jimmy Lai and youth Joshua Wong, both pro-democracy activists branded as “subversives” by the Chinese communist regime.

And this could happen again this year. The media outlet Breitbart indicated that Hong Kong’s Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) might be under pressure to process applications to use the park again, which it had suspended “until further notice” for all organizations, citing public health concerns over the coronavirus pandemic as an excuse.

According to the same media outlet in another article, the chief executive of Chinese Communist Party-controlled Hong Kong, Carrie Lam, had insisted in late April that the vigil is not yet officially banned, but her words were accompanied by the threat that those who attended could be charged with treason under Beijing’s “Security Law” imposed on the island.

“It much depends on what is going to happen in those gatherings and whether they will fall into the offences expressly prohibited in the national security law — that is involved in secession, subversion of Central government and the Hong Kong SAR government, engaging in terrorist activities or collusion with an external party to endanger national security,” Lam said.

This infamous law, which the Chinese regime imposed on Hong Kong last year, criminalizes all dissent from Beijing’s authoritarian policies as “subversion,” encroaching on freedoms and forcibly imposing the Chinese Communist Party’s ideology on the island.

Chow Hang-tung, vice president of the Hong Kong Alliance, told HKFP that he was “not optimistic” that his organization’s application to hold the annual vigil in the park would be processed, adding: “I think they are trying to create an atmosphere so that people will be afraid to go.

A tragic day that the Chinese regime wants to be forgotten

In 1989, Tiananmen Square was occupied for weeks by students who wanted to bring about democratic reform in China. The peaceful protests that sought to realize their dream of ridding the country of communist tyranny fizzled out when the army moved in.

The Tiananmen massacre occurred in the early hours of 4 June of that year, when soldiers and tanks invaded the square to repress and put a bloody end to demonstrations that threatened the communist dictatorship.

Since the Tiananmen Square massacre, 4 June has been a “sensitive” date for the Chinese Communist Party. Year after year, it tries to erase it from the minds and consciousness of the Chinese people, and the tragic event is considered a taboo subject in China.